Thursday, February 11, 2010

Phonics Program Review

If you visit the ClickNKids web site, it looks campy. The cartoon characters Click N. Kid and Cosmo Cat dance hyper-actively across the screen in a new 3-D advertising video encouraging parents to sign up for their service.

I originally signed up for ClickNKids as a temporary measure. I began homeschooling my first grader sooner than I had anticipated, and lacking any formal phonics program, this one seemed adequate, accessible, and affordable after a trial run on one of their free lessons.

I have since relied on ClickNKids as the sole curriculum for spelling and phonics for my first grader, and have begun using it with my preschooler as well, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. One caveat is that the program is strictly fundamentals for new and early readers; this is not an appropriate program for children who already possess proficient or advanced reading skills. This program is also best suited for a child who is willing to work independently.

The instructor in this program is clear and patient, with an encouraging tone and very tonally distinct in the pronunciation of various phonetic sounds, sound combinations, words, and sentences. In the phonics program, children will get experience in phonics, sight words, oral fluency, spelling, and dictation. Certain language concepts are also discussed, such as prefixes, suffixes, and homonyms.

The earliest lessons are appropriately short (5-10 minutes) for the preschooler or kindergartner with a shorter attention span. These have been tested and met with the approval of my very stubborn 4-year-old. The youngest students will probably require some parental follow-up, until the child develops enough confidence and proficiency to fully engage with the program. Slowly the lessons work up in duration, and the most advanced lessons, which have been tested quite thoroughly by my 7-year-old, extend up to 30-45 minutes and include all aspects of reading. Parts of the lesson are timed, others are self-paced, and a lesson report at the end allows the parent to review the lesson with the student if desired.

The spelling program is significantly more challenging than the phonics program, and should probably not be used until a child has basic reading proficiency. Spelling words and exams are included, and the spelling program likely has more longevity than the phonics program.

The most excellent feature of this program, I believe, is the ability for children to learn independently age such a young age.

The program is designed for use for grades K-3, though the typical homeschooler will probably complete the program by the end of first or second grade.

2 comments:

  1. I was happy to discover your blog today. I was unable to find a contact link. I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you through a public comment. I've developed an educational program for Windows called SpellQuizzer that helps children learn their spelling and vocabulary words without the battle that parents often have getting them to sit down and write them out while the parents dictate to them. The parent enters the child's spelling words into the software making a sound recording of each word. Then the software helps the child practice his or her words. It really helped my children with their weekly spelling lists.

    I would appreciate your reviewing SpellQuizzer in Liberated Education. If you are interested in hosting a giveaway of a SpellQuizzer license I'd be happy to supply a free license to the winner. You can learn more about the program at http://www.SpellQuizzer.com. There's a video demo you can watch at http://www.spellquizzer.com/SpellQuizzer-Demo.htm and a community site where SpellQuizzer users can share their spelling lists with one another (http://www.SpellQuizzer.com/Community). Finally, there's a page targeted to homeschooling families at http://www.spellquizzer.com/spelling-software-for-homeschoolers.htm. I'd be happy to send you a complimentary license for the software. Please let me know if you are interested.

    Thank you very much!

    Dan Hite
    TedCo Software
    Dan@SpellQuizzer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    I've e-mailed you and would be happy to review Spell Quizzer. But I cannot guarantee a positive review, only an honest one. The product will have to speak for itself!

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete